Ratatouille

Well, this weekend at the market was amazing. Hot, yes, but sunny! I found the most amazing carrots and vegetables at the market (including 1 carrot that weighed 1 pound!), that I went right home and made my version of Ratatouille that (most) of my kids really enjoyed! For those interested here is what I did. I was able to use all fresh from my garden or the market except 4 ingredients (salt, pepper, wine and oil)! Pretty awesome!

Ratatouille
Serves 4 (or those with small children more!)

1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 TBS oil
2 cups carrots sliced paper thin
1 cup green beans, snapped
1 medium zucchini sliced thin
1 cup chopped, peeled tomato fresh from the vine
3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper
3 TBS dry white wine or water
1 TBS fresh basil, cut up
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in carrots, beans, zucchini, tomato, sweet pepper, wine, salt and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered over medium-low heat about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Uncover and cook about 5 more minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil.